Tuesday 23 May 2017

From Perth County to Rondeau Park, the Story of One Woodpecker.

First of all, a couple things I wanted to note.  I finally changed the header photo at the top of this blog to something more springlike.  Warbler migration is upon us and the Yellow Warbler is one of the few that stays around here to nest. 


My first monarch butterfly of the season was observed on our farm on May 16, the earliest that I ever remember seeing one around here.


Now on to the main post.






This story begins sometime back in early March.  It was a Sunday afternoon and I had just returned up to the house from a walk over the farm.  Rounding the corner of the house, I came across a Hairy Woodpecker laying under the window.  An unfortunate victim of a window strike.

I picked it up and looked it over, marvelling at the colour patterns, that one rarely gets to see so close. 


 I didn't like the thought of leaving it there to go to waste and so I decided to try and give it a new life.  I am familiar with the process of bird taxidermy and I started to wonder whether this bird could have a new life in a display or exhibit of some sort.


I contacted fellow blogger and Rondeau area naturalist Allen Woodliffe to get his opinion on whether it would be something that would be of interest to Rondeau Park.  He put me in touch with the park and they seemed interested in having it mounted for display in an existing exhibit. 

It was somewhat of a challenge, but the piece was finished and took the trip with me on my park visit at the end of April.
Woodpecker near bottom of the tree that the eagles are nesting in.



 This woodpecker met an unfortunate end, but now has the opportunity to be used to educate visitors to the park.  In this day and age, wildlife face various threats, but hopefully through pieces such as this, the general public can see the beauty of nature up close and build an awareness of how important it is to conserve it.





9 comments:

  1. I'll have to look for it next time I'm down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to get some good out of a not so nice situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Jonathan, and certainly a great use for this unfortunate victim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allen. And thanks again for your help.

      Delete
  4. Love the new header picture! Really great way to turn around an unfortunate window strike victim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Laura. I have really been enjoying following your blog.

      Delete
  5. Nice ending to an unpleasant situation. I love the Yellow Warbler against the blue sky in the header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxane. I was happy with the way things worked out.

      That yellow warbler was probably one of the most cooperative warblers that I have been able to photograph.

      Delete