Friday 6 July 2018

Summer Odds and Ends

Where does time go?  We are into July already and fall migration is right around the corner.  I haven't posted much lately, but like my fellow nature enthusiasts I have been out enjoying the summer weather.
Wood Duck family
Juvenile Red-Winged Blackbird
Viceroy

Unidentified moth.
Common Ringlet

Spotted Sandpiper

Vesper Sparrow
Pine Siskins seem to be popping up over southern Ontario this summer and this one showed up at our feeders.

And of course one of my favorite resident species, the Bobolink.
Although the hay fields where the local Bobolinks nest are cut sooner than recommended (an unfortunate reality when making a living on a farm), we are fortunate to have a good deal of other suitable habitat in the form of pasture fields and scrubby untouched grassy habitat.  I was also pleased to note that one family and their almost fully grown brood moved into a scrubby patch near their field which had been cut.
I got a good look at this young Bobolink, but my camera was more interested in the grass in front.

No comments:

Post a Comment