Friday 13 September 2019

Manitoulin Memories.

Manitoulin Island certainly didn't disappoint again this year, having just returned from a few days away.  It may not be as remote or isolated as other northern destinations, but the island certainly has that laid back small community feel.  It's a nice diversion from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
The common Ring-billed Gull posed nicely on the ferry crossing

Lake Mindemoya has for the last few years been the go-to destination to rent a cabin and this year was no exception.



Daily scans of the lake frequently produced resident loons and Red-necked Grebes among other things.  The island vicinity is a known fall staging area for the grebes and although I didn't see any great number it was still great to find a species I hadn't seen before.  They were only visible through the scope so no photos.

Warblers were passing through the island in small numbers, the most common being the American Redstart.

Sandhill cranes are congregating.


Common nighthawk were frequent evening visitors.  Unfortunately the only one I managed to look at closely was dead on the road shoulder.
Providence Bay with waterside boardwak and sandy beach is always a great spot to check out.

  A number of shorebirds were working the water's edge.  Although in constant motion, they had little fear of humans and provided great views and photo opportunity.


American Golden Plover

Baird's Sandpiper 
Semipalmated Plover with the Bairds.
Sanderling

Bridal veil falls is a popular tourist destination.  An advantage of being there this time of year is that it is not quite so busy.  

This Chinook Salmon was fighting it's way up the shallow stream in the direction of the falls.  It was really impressive how such a large fish managed to come so far up in such low water level.



The trip concluded in South Baymouth with a short walk on the nearby Bowerman Trails before boarding the ferry.  I met Mr. Bowerman, the creator of the trails, a few years ago here while walking them.  It really is incredible the amount of work he put into making this trail system through beautiful northen landscape.





Just an old telephone on a tree- one of numerous unique features along here.


A great few days away!  Back to work now.



10 comments:

  1. Nice report, Jonathan. I have never visited Manitoulin Island and I feel I have missed out. Your report just confirms this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words David. I have fond memories of summers spent there as a little fellow, so the area holds special meaning for me. Perhaps a place for you to consider sometime in the future.

      Delete
    2. Hello Everybody,
      My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
      First name......
      Middle name.....
      2) Gender:.........
      3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
      4) Loan Duration:.........
      5) Country:.........
      6) Home Address:.........
      7) Mobile Number:.........
      8) Email address..........
      9) Monthly Income:.....................
      10) Occupation:...........................
      11)Which site did you here about us.....................
      Thanks and Best Regards.
      Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a good time. I have been on the island a few times, but not recently. I once stayed at Mac's Camp on Lake Kagawong (people from near Wallaceburg own it). A nice spot. I need to get up there again some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is a nice area. There certainly is a lot of variety of places to stay around there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Manitoulin Island for the first time this past summer (July 7-9) and loved it! We had fun touring around and I couldn't have found a better location to see my first Eastern Meadowlarks (they don't typically come all the way to Timmins). I spent a lot of time watching them & listening to their songs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw some of your lists when looking at the area on ebird. That’s great about the meadowlarks. They certainly aren’t numerous and I love hearing and seeing them.

    For you, I guess Manitoulin would have been a trip south. It’s kind of funny that I considered this trip as going north when I’ve probably never actually seen real Ontario north like your area :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right, it was a trip south for us...400km south of where we live :)

      Delete
  6. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Thank

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete